It’s been a few weeks since I posted last. School has bee going well, it’s a lot of hard work but I am having a great time. Lot’s of quizzes and tests and we are covering a lot of material. It’s hard to believe we are already half way through the first semester.
Classes are a combination of lecture and shop time with a variety of shop projects. Projects so far have included steel bar stock forming, riveting, sheet metal layout and bending, stock drilling, taping, broken bolt/stud extraction, Heli-Coils, and safety wire. we have several more projects lined up as well.
Outside of the class room, I got myself hooked up with a repair/restoration project. It’s a late 1950s Cessna 140A. I spent much of Saturday working on airplane. After removing the doors we set to work on removing the wings. After the wings were removed we set to work on the tail section removing the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. After all that and a bit of a bath, we got started on stripping the landing gear down.
With the airplane now on a rotating frame, we need to remove the spring steel gear legs so we can get started on skin section removal here-n-there and a really dig into a thorough structural inspection.
The best part of this project is that I am getting some real-world repair, maintenance, and inspection time in. I am looking forward to our next trip down to work on the plane again.
Until next time, blue skies and tail winds,